Poor water quality and undesirable environmental conditions. Things such as overcrowding, incompatible species and stress will cause flukes. Flukes can be present but if pristine conditions are maintained, flukes can be harmless.
Keep fish in compatible groups and maintain a healthy water quality.
- Scratching or flashing on the infected area
- Red patches on the skin
- Gills or fins may be bitten or chewed away
- Gills moving rapidly
- A layer of mucus over the gills and/or fins
- Remove and carbon filters
- Turn off UV sterilizers
- Add medication as directed (Antibiotics or general cures)
- Do a 20% water change between doses