- Spots that resemble grains of salt or white sand on the skin.
- May be slightly-raised.
- Scratching against objects due to irritated skin
- Clamped fins.
- Gasping at the water’s surface.
Ick is generally caused by poor water quality and fish stress. Rapid fluctuation of aquarium temperature, PH, temperature, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Easily prevented by placing fish into a quarantine tank for a week before introducing them into your aquarium.
- Remove carbon filters and turn off any UV sterilizers
- Add Ick medication as directed
- Raise temperature to a constant 82° to shorten the ick's lifespan
- If only a few fish are infected, place the fish in saltwater for 10 minutes, then return them to the aquarium. For Saltwater fish you will give them a freshwater bath instead.