Pop-Eye is not a disease in itself. This is a symptom of an unknown underlying disease that has caused fluid to build of under the eye, causing it to protrude from the skull.
Maintain a healthy water quality. House fish that do not fight with each other. Do not overfeed. Remove dead fish.
- One or both of the eyes will be protruding from the fish's skull. This can be anywhere from mild to extreme to where the eye will burst.
- Unusually behavior in the days/weeks leading up to the eye bulging.
- Cloudiness on the outside of the eye
- Quarantine the infected fish and medicate individually
- For your other fish complete a 50% water change until water conditions have improved.
- Check that any new equipment or decorations are not leaching poison into the water.
- Use a broad spectrum antibacterial medication first.
- After using bacteria medication, you can try fungus and antibiotic medication.