Although river rock substrates look very nice they have some serious issues when placed by themselves in an aquarium as substrate. This should not be used as the only form of substrate in most aquariums. Check out the pros and cons below to see if this substrate will work for your aquarium.
- No "sand/dust storms"
- Can look great
- Particle size is too large
- Allows fish waste to build up which in turn raises nitrate levels
- Hard to vacuum if the rocks are too big
- No nutritional benefit
- Some brands are chemically coated
- Very difficult to grow plants in